John E. Behler and Wayne H. (Brig) Young grew up in nearby Lowell, Michigan, became life long friends and founded the company in 1926, in a building located at Bond and Trowbridge in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The friendship between John and Brig grew into a successful business partnership. When the two were not hunting and fishing together, they built a business that survived the depression and World War II. They complemented one another – John the outside salesman and Brig the inside manager. Together they shared a strong sense of business integrity and honesty – a heritage that has lasted 90 years.
After returning from serving during World War II, Jack Behler and Dick Young took over the family business. Jack, ran the manufacturing component – very high quality sheet metal pipe fittings and Dick saw to the growth of the distribution business by increasing the number of warehouse locations across Michigan.
Under the leadership of Doug Young, Behler-Young has continued a commitment to the ethics, quality, excellence and teamwork that have characterized the company since its inception. B-Y officers and associates have been involved in many civic, community and industry organizations. We are especially proud of our associates participation in United Way Campaigns and as community volunteers. The Young Family has served as President of the Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce, the Michigan Chamber of Commerce and the National Association of Wholesale Distributors. Doug Young has been selected to head HARDI, a major industry distributor organization.
Behler-Young has been a major provider of business and technical training for contractors and thousands have attended classes held throughout Michigan. We have created a world class system of distribution and delivery capabilities and for the past 25 years a network of Bryant dealers that provide outstanding sales, installation and service to businesses and homeowners through our service area.